Thursday, February 20, 2014

What To Do When IT's Cold Out

It's been a good start to training this year, for sure it's been the earliest start and strongest start to a training season I have had. To help me with it I have lots of different tools to motivate me along the way. Including testing, toys, and some great weather.

First of all at the beginning of February I made my way over to TCR Sports Labs here in Calgary and meet Cory a very intelligent trainer and coach. That is where I did my first VO2 max test since University. It was great talking to him for two reasons, first to get the information and numbers from my test and some insight on what those numbers mean and how they can compare to other racers and riders and where I need to set my goals. He also gave me some more idea's and suggestions on how to increase those numbers to help me meet some of my goals.  Secondly I had a great talk with him about my career goals and how to achieve them, what direction to be looking, and what steps I need to be taking. This was very helpful and encouraging. A lot of topics we discussed are some of the things I have been thinking about in the back of my head and some things that I know I need to do. As well he was able to point out some things that I didn't think about and combined to talking to others I have come to the realization that there is lots for me to learn and I really am going to have to take a little different focus as well as continue with my current plans. I spent a few hours with Cory and as I sit now that time was invaluable to me, I would like to thank Cory very much for all the help he has already provided for me.

February has been a pretty interesting month so far as far as weather has gone especially here in Calgary. It has been pretty warm, temps above 0C then the next week it will be -25C or colder. On those warm days I still try to get out and do some rides on the road, but a few weeks ago it was in that -30 range after wind chill so that forced me inside and on the rollers. I have been pretty good with the motivation to do at least 1:30 on the rollers inside but one day I wanted to do 2 hours on them so I decided that I was going to do a little video of the suffering. It worked out pretty good just being able to get off the bike for a min here and there changing camera angles was enough to keep me motivated to spin for the full 2 hours (actual ride time in the saddle). I finally got around to putting together a short little clip of the day here.



No comments:

Post a Comment