Monday, August 29, 2011

Don't Fight with Trees

Sunday's ride was interesting, first of all I swaped bikes with Josh so he could try out the full Squish ride and so I could try out a carbon hardtail for an actual ride not just a 5 minute loop.
Here is what I rode, really nice bike!
First of all I realized how much I have learned over the past 4 years of riding, I really noticed the little differences. This bike was much more nimble, as in I could move it under me much quicker, the steering was a lot quicker and easy to over steer. After some time on the bike and I started to loosen up on it I was amazed at how well this bike was to rip though the tight stuff. It also had some amazing acceleration out of the corners, especially anything with a slight berm, I found I could start pedaling out of the corner much earlier with the hardtail then I could with the FS. However I really don't see all the benefits of the hardtail, I found I had to hover over the saddle a lot more as well as I had a harder time pumping off of the backs of logs and big rocks the same way I do my FS bike. I do think that a hardtail would be great to own and go rip on to make the bike handling skills that much better but I still prefer the full squish. They are just that much more fun and long rides are that much easier on them.

I am also spoiled, the biggest thing I noticed with this bike was the coasting and pumping though flat sections, it seemed like I always had to be on the gas to keep this thing going, the wheels just didn't seem to roll as smooth or as fast as the ZTR's I have built up.

Now as far as the ride went, Copland has to be one of my favorite places to ride in Ontario! so many fun trails, a lot of big climbs wich result in a lot of fun long downhills. I think we were able to hit up all of my favorite sections in one ride without riding the same single track.


That is what happens when to try to get in a fight with a tree. I was going over a small skinny across a small wet spot on the trail just came off the edge of it and headed for a tree, I saw a broken off dead limb since it was too late and no way of saving the crash I tried to make my helmet take the blow but instead it was my ear that took it. It almost knocked me out but I was able to shake it off and finish the ride. I am pretty glad that it wasn't my eye.

All in all it was a good ride finished as always with some good company and some good beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment